[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Wed Sep 14 11:16:35 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 10:33 -0400, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> > Alex McKinnon said:
> > The problem with the word Junior is that it's overloaded. LPIC-3
> > obviously rates the label Senior, so extrapolation gives you
> > Intermediate and Junior for the other two. Junior is appropriate for
> > LPIC-1 *in the context of Linux and LPI certs*. Compared to a
> > mythical LPIC-3 person, an LPIC-1 grad is definitely junior.
> >
> > Junior has other meanings, most common is "someone who started last
> > month".
>
> Yep, all good.
>
> Checkout <http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=junior&db=roget>,
> almost none of the alternatives for 'junior' are complimentary, junior
> is a derisory term and has no place in something we're trying to get
> people to aspire to achieve.

This has been an interesting thread. The terminology that LPI uses is a
derivative of the three SAGE system administrator levels which use
"junior", "intermediate", and "senior".

I too would like to see LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 more differentiated with
common elements of the two drawn down into LPIC-1 to increase it's
difficulty and to position LPIC-2 as an "enterprise" level admin. Level
3 (to use a heavily loaded term) would indeed be a series of modular
specializations that can even be arranged into tracks (such as LAMP). In
addition distribution specific specializations would be added onto
LPIC-1 in the way the SuSE/Novell cert is. This is my opinion only, some
disagree with it.

To me Level 0 or Linuxcore is too junior and faces too much competition.
The Japanese however had a plan that just might make such a thing viable
in Japan but I remain unconvinced that it would fly outside of an
environment that is so heavily into certifications as Japan is.

The desktop arena is just too chaotic to decide. Given that certain
major players make decisions that are not compatible with other smaller
competitors makes this a playing field that I see as more distribution
specific.  Given the significant work we can do to realign LPIC-1 and
-2, create distribution specific system admin exams (the "103's"), and
many modules at Level 3 I feel the desktop can wait until more consensus
is reached in the marketplace.

Just my opinions.

--
Mark Miller