[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels -- training only for a test ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 16 21:57:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 20:53 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> As I said, it plagues many states.  In Florida, we are a magnet state
> and we have too many new students every year -- many immigrants, many
> who do not speak English fluently.

I just realized that some people will take that last part wrong.  Oh
boy.  I should have thought that throw (I have nothing against the US
becoming a dual-language nation, and believe we will be better for it).

I meant there are a lot of issues in dealing with students are the first
generation of their family to speak English, so they do not get much
additional instruction at home.  And that's just one factor that adds to
the issues.  Over-crowding makes it virtually impossible (I had close to
40 in one class -- not even enough desks).

And there are other factors, including the total darth of any education
prior to their entry in Florida.  That is a repeat theme for my wife,
who is a teacher (and working on her PhD, already with 2 masters and a
half-decade of teaching experience).

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com