[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Fri Sep 16 23:07:01 EDT 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 16:42 -0600, ross e. brunson wrote:
>

>>How about VNC or ssh'd VNC?
>>

>I'd used nested X sessions instead of VNC.
>

>>I like it, it should be a tough exam, you have to get 3 machines with
>>Apache sites setup with multiple IP addressa and virtual hosts on each
>>one, the main machine should mount the other system's virtual host
>>directories so the main machine is the top of the site.
>>

>Why not a focus on _real_ network authentication, directory services,
>etc... instead of just knowing how to turn Linux into ADS' bitch?

yeah, that's real cute. In my experience AD is far more real world... I
see a handful of OpenLDAP and NDS implementations out there, but they're
really just the isolated hold-outs. Granted some of them are very large,
but Microsoft has won this one with another shining example of
embrace-and-extend. If OpenLDAP had a decent administration UI(1) and
easy hooks into userland programs like Thunderbird(2), it could regain
some ground...

Anyway, to wander back towards topic how about LPIC-4 being "fix some
glaring problem like calendaring or address books" :)

(1) I've tried a lot of web-based and GTK-based frontends which fail to
measure up, not sure if anyone's pet project is in there.
(2) Read-only is not that tough at this point, if the administrator
understands LDAP well enough to choose the right schema and feed the
database with useful information.... unless you want secure access
without opening up a VPN (the very antithesis of secure, IMHO).

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org : It's a Scientific Venture!
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,