[lpi-discuss] Server vs. Workstation (was Some Objective Feedback

Mark Miller mark.miller at lpi.org
Sat Sep 17 16:00:29 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 16:42 +0800, tj wrote:
> I think level 1 should be related to some simple troubleshoot.
> And to pass level 2 guys should be able to optimize and compile kernel.

Actually we have higher expectations than that. Many items in the LPIC-1
tests do a small form of troubleshooting at the command level. Many
items force a person to consider why the alternatives won't perform the
task desired so constitute a form of troubleshooting. Level 2 is a bit
more explicit with this. Level 1 must be able to configure and compile a
kernel from source including choosing appropriate modules.

> # Overview of Tasks: To pass Level 1 someone should be able to
>
>     * Work at the Linux command line
>     * Perform easy maintenance tasks: help out users, add users to a larger system, backup & restore, shutdown & reboot
>     * Install and configure a workstation (including X) and connect it to a LAN, or a stand-alone PC via modem to the Internet.

Level 1 does all this and more.

> # Overview of Tasks: To pass Level 2 someone should be able to
>
>     * Administer a small to medium-sized site

Actually I would expect Level 1 to be able to do most of this if not all
(depending on the situation).  This is only on a pure Linux system
however as right now we do not ask about working in a mixed environment
(Windows, Macs, or even Unix).

>     * Plan, implement, maintain, keep consistent, secure, and troubleshoot a small mixed (MS, Linux) network, including a:
>           o LAN server (samba)
>           o Internet Gateway (firewall, proxy, mail, news)
>           o Internet Server (webserver, FTP server)
>     * Supervise assistants
>     * Advise management on automation and purchases

Generally the difference between LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 is the degree of with
which the admin has autonomy.  LPIC-1 should be able to do all of the
above for small to medium sized networks and work effectively in a
larger network environment under supervision. LPIC-2 should work
independently in the larger environments.

--
Mark Miller
Program Manager