[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 18 01:51:08 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 13:24 -0700, Mark Miller wrote:
> While home users can indeed pass the tests, particularly as they are now
> they do not define them.  Generally we are at the level of a good medium
> business network solution.  I'd like to see Level 2 move up into the
> enterprise types of situations that you mention in the parts of the post
> I don't quote here. Even then however we need to be careful to avoid any
> focus on distro specific solutions that we would tend to run into in
> this kind of environment.

Netscape Directory Server (NsDS), now Red Hat / Fedora Directory Server,
runs on _most_ Linux distributions, Windows, Solaris and a few other
platforms.  It is _not_ distro specific -- I've seen it deployed on SuSE
and Debian as well.

It's like saying Red Hat Database is distro-centric, even though it's
just PostgreSQL.  Call it what you will, and other distros that adopt
the former NsDS will definitely not call it a Red Hat trademark.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com