[lpi-discuss] General comments on LPI levels

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 18 01:55:14 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 13:35 -0700, Mark Miller wrote:
> I'm not making that up, I saw exactly that at Intel on their networks.

That's because it's an engineering firm.  CAM and EDA are _dominated_ by
Linux solutions, even if Microsoft was able to make the more "commodity
CAD" Windows-only.

You can be sure that Boeing does _not_ tolerate MS Office on the factory
floor, and that's why they co-sponsored Sun's OpenOffice.org XML format
standardization by OASIS (along with Corel and others).

> The more you get away from an office setup the more you see such things.

Yep.  We're not talking about "oh, the ADS DCs went down or need to be
rebuilt, we'll come back tomorrow after IT fixed it."

We're talking 24x7 operation.  Which means "oh, I heard ADS is down --
oh well, we can't use Outlook to talk to them."

If we start introducing so-called "real-world" scenarios, I big one
should focus on _segmenting_ UNIX/Linux authentication, directory, file
and naming services -- at least as a "peer" to ADS, and _not_ a
subordinate.  Especially given ADS' _weak_ KDC approach.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com