[lpi-discuss] the cost of certification

christiaan christiaan.theron at virgin.net
Mon Sep 19 13:47:23 EDT 2005

Kevin Rorke wrote:

>Perhaps I should say that it was certainly not my intention to denigrate
>Novell in any way (or to start a flame war!). On the contrary, I'm greatly
>impressed with Novell's contributions to the Linux community - particularly
>the free Technical Resource Kit giveaways.
>
>The article that Mark Miller mentions,
>http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/nc2005_049.html , makes
>Novell's position (even if it's "unofficial") clear in the opening line:
>
>"As Novell has come to embrace Linux in its product line, marketing and
>strategy, it has also come to support--if not flat-out endorse--the
>certifications from the Linux Professional Institute (LPI)."
>
>Regards
>Kevin

I have lurked with interest on the subject of the CLP self-study kit.
Having looked at the kit I think it is a possibly the best Linux
training kit available. However the question remains whether or not it
is worth the money at the stated price of $876 with out shipment. With
Cisco and Microsoft self-study kits starting at around $50, the
questions is there a not so fine line between gross-profiteering and
free-enterprise being crossed?
However the quality of the training kit is such that  I think Novell
have been very clever in understanding the weaknesses of the LPI
marketing . Even at the price point the CLP self-study kit will be a
vehicle that will propell Novell Linux Certification into pole postion
as the leading Linux Cert.
I have been interested in studying for Linux examinations for some years
but cost is a major factor in in holding me back. Not the cost of the
LPI exams but the cost of the study, in time and in the total lack of
choice of study kits available.
I think that the first Linux Certification scheme to come up with a
self-study kit of the quality of the CLP kit for under $50 will have the
widest adoption. Quite frankly thats my price point and if the LPI was
to make that happen then I would buy it.

Chris