[lpi-discuss] LPIC-2 Alumni from Japan at LinuxWorld Boston

Scott Lamberton scottl at lpi.org
Thu Apr 27 15:00:08 EDT 2006

Friends:

Included below is a recent interview with LPIC-2 alumni from Japan who
attended LinuxWorld Boston.

The full text of the interview and a group photo can be found at:
http://www.lpi.org/en/news_item/152

LPIC-2 Alumni from Japan at LinuxWorld Boston

LPI-Japan brought a full delegation of staff, Board members and LPIC-2
alumni to LinuxWorld Boston (for a full LPI report on LinuxWorld Boston
see: http://list.lpi.org/pipermail/lpi-discuss/2006-April/002468.html).
The LPIC-2 alumni had participated in a special promotional contest
sponsored by LPI-Japan that invited candidates to take the necessary
tests to obtain their LPIC-2 certification. Five of the test takers who
successfully passed their level 2 exams and received their LPIC-2
certification also won an-all expense paid trip to attend LinuxWorld
Boston. Of these five LPIC-2 alumni, four were chosen at random and one
received the highest test score. These five award winning LPIC-2 alumni
also agreed to participate in an interview where they responded to a
number of questions on LPI, our exams and other topics. They were as
follows:

Shigeru Osaki: CEO of Comsolut--a Japanese website design and server
management company. Mr. Osaki is also an instructor of Linux
courses--particularly a training course for LPI certification at IT
companies.

Ken Naito: an Assistant Manager with CSK Systems Corporation--a provider
of consulting services on System Integration and other IT solutions.

Takeshi Nishioka: an Accounting student presently studying at the
University of Sydney in Australia. Mr. Nishioka took his LPIC-2 tests
when he was working as an IT manager responsible for network design,
operation and maintenance.

Yasuharu Ujiie: a system engineer of the Linux System Support division
of Corporate Software Ltd.--an IT outsourcing company.

Mitsuhide Fukuyama: highest exam score holder in the contest and an
Instructor and Planner of IT Training with DoCoMo Engineering Inc.--an
IT network solution provider.

QUESTION: Why did you chose the LPI Certification program?

Mostly the LPI-Japan alumni indicated that either the LPI Certification
was required by their employers, for other work-related reasons or that
they had an interest in measuring their own skills and knowledge in
Linux. For example, Shigeru Osaki stated: ''As a Linux teacher I need to
be able to demonstrate to my students that I have the required Linux
skills and knowledge. The LPIC program covers a wider scope of material
and is necessary for me as a teacher because it is vendor-neutral. The
distribution specific certifications just won't work for me as an
instructor.''

This view was echoed by Mr. Fukuyama: ''A large chunk of our business is
around Linux solutions. I am in charge of developing Linux engineers in
my company and I recommend that our engineers take LPIC to demonstrate
their status as highly qualified engineers. LPI is highly recognized in
Japan as a vendor-neutral Linux certification. It is also seen to be the
#1 Linux certification in Japan.'' Mr. Fukuyama also noted that his
LPIC-2 certification will earn him greater respect amongst both his
peers and students.

QUESTION: Any comments on the LPIC-2 exams and how did you prepare for
the tests?

Ken Naito commented positively on the exam: ''Before my interest in
Linux I also worked with Unix. I took the LPIC exams because I wanted to
measure my knowledge and skill set in working with Linux. I think the
exams are a good way of measuring one's expertise in Linux.''

Mr. Osaki also praised the LPIC program as the tests asked questions
around actual challenges with building and operating system servers.
However he noted there were some translation problems with some of the
exam questions and provided some input on some technical questions that
he felt could be more challenging. This comment on translation issues
was re-iterated by Mr. Nishioka: ''Sometimes the Japanese translation of
the exam questions is not clear. I appreciated it when I could switch
back and forth between the Japanese and English exams.'' It was noted
that this option is no longer available for Japanese exam takers.
(PLEASE SEE NOTE BELOW)

Mr. Ujiie also stated that he found preparing for the exams a useful
exercise: ''At my company we are moving more towards Intel-based Linux
servers and in preparing for the LPI exams I found many useful commands
that will assist me with this kind of work.'' Mr. Ujiie, like most of
these LPIC-2 alumni prepared for the exams through the use of a number
of textbooks on LPI certification that are readily available in Japan.

QUESTION: What programs would you like to see LPI produce in the future?

All of the LPIC-2 alumni from Japan responded enthusiastically to the
idea of the availability of a LPIC-3 program. Those who were involved in
Linux training also indicated a similar level of interest amongst their
students for a Level 3 certification. However, they also noted the
importance of the continuing involvement of LPIC alumni and the Linux
community in LPI's work.

''LPI needs to find ways to facilitate the greater involvement of LPI
alumni in its programs. It also needs to develop ways that LPI alumni
can also interact and network, '' said Ken Naito. In this regard Mr.
Osaki said that it was important that LPI continue to maintain its
philosophy of exam development: ''Many certifications in the IT domain
are not so actively tied to the actual work of an IT professional--they
are more about the software. LPI needs to continue to consult with those
that are involved in the day-to-day work in the business environment.''

Others indicated that LPI needed to continue to focus on the quality of
its exams: ''LPI needs to make even greater investments in exam quality
and perhaps raise the bar on the pass/fail threshold,'' said Mr. Fukuyama.

QUESTION: What was notable about LinuxWorld Boston?

Most of those attending appreciated the presentation-style of many of
the speakers at LinuxWorld Boston. Specifically, Mr. Fukuyama noted:
''As a trainer I'm interested in how others present their material and
information. I saw some sessions where the presentation was very
effective and which will inform my own teaching.''

Mr. Osaki also noted a trend at many booths around calendar/email
solutions and applications while Mr. Ujiie appreciated the information
at several booths on blade servers--something his own company is
involved with.

All of the LPIC-2 alumni expressed their gratitude to LPI-Japan for
sponsoring this special promotion and looked forward to participating in
the development of LPI in Japan.

(NOTE from Matthew Rice, Director of Product Development: ''In the past
we have had multiple contractors and service providers involved in
translation related issues. We have taken steps to streamline this
process and we will be working closely with LPI-Japan to quickly resolve
this issue).
--
Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications