[lpi-discuss] [LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute changes Recertification Policy

Anselm Lingnau anselm.lingnau at linupfront.de
Sun Dec 3 21:14:18 EST 2006

Scott Lamberton wrote:

> All of this should be discernable from the policy.  However one needs to
> read past the first sentence ;-)

The recertificaton policy does not talk about the mechanics of re-takes. When
I took my LPIC-1 exam the stated policy was that re-takes weren't allowed
unless the objectives had been changed in the meantime; the change of *that*
policy must somehow have slipped by me (my bad).

More importantly, I am, like Evan, surprised that the issue underlying the
recent recertification interval policy change had apparently never been
raised on this list before the actual change was promulgated. I used to be
under the impression that this list was a venue where ideas like this could
be floated *before* an actual policy change, and input from »the LPI
community« be solicited. Now it seems that, for whatever reason, the LPI does
not consider the readership of this list a part of »the LPI community« to an
extent where our input regarding the issue would have been welcome (because
otherwise it would have been very appropriate to ask the readers of
lpi-discuss at lpi.org for their thoughts on the matter -- this, unless I'm very
much mistaken, is what this list purports to be *for*).

If anything, this is a more disturbing development than whatever you could do
to the recertification timespan, and I would strongly urge you to either
officially declare this list as being provided purely for entertainment
purposes, or reconsider your methods for handling future prospective policy
changes such that you make more explicit use of this very valuable channel
into »the LPI community«. Alternatively, if there is *another* list that one
must join where one's contributions might actually to some degree make a
difference regarding issues such as this, before the fact, I'd love to hear
about that as well.

Anselm

(This is my personal opinion and not that of Linup Front GmbH.)
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
Linup Front GmbH, Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt, Germany