LPIC-3, was: Re: [lpi-discuss] RE: Linux Professional Institute changes...

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Dec 4 23:29:51 EST 2006

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> At the very least, LPIC-3 will provide very good positioning and credibility for LPI (if done well).

Absolutely. The higher level exams are the most difficult to create
(because the pool of people with experience at that level is of course
smaller). That, combined with the knowledge that the market for
higher-level exams is smaller, indicates that LPIC-3 is being primarily
done for the benefit of having a complete and high-quality program. If
it drives more people to get their Level 2, so much the better.

(It's my big problem with CompTIA's approach to certification. All they
care about is entry-level, the one that's easiest to make and has the
most potential candidates. Their intent is to pick off the "low hanging
fruit" and leave it to others to do the more-expensive-to-make,
lower-revenue-potential higher levels. While I have respect for Novell's
and Red Hat's cert programs, I have none for Linux+ and wish it would go
away.)

The release of LPIC-3 is the ultimate realization of the plan that Dan
York and I first sketched out, in Orem Utah's La Quinta Hotel, in late
1998. We'd snuck into the hotel's only conference room and spent the day
brainstorming in front of a whiteboard, the day before we were scheduled
to meet senior management at Caldera's head office (Dan and I had met in
person for the first time just two days earlier). Our goal at that time
was to convince Caldera to be part of a community vendor-neutral
certification program, instead of doing its own as was being planned.
Dan and I took previous email discussions, refined them into a
three-level program, and made the pitch to Caldera based on that plan.
Obviously we succeeded -- within a few weeks they'd killed their
internal certification initiative and given us our first sponsorship
cheque, soon to be followed by Linuxcare and SuSE (and later others).

Caldera, Linuxcare and SuSE are now all swallowed into other
organizations; LPI continues to thrive as an independent non-profit with
both grassroots and corporate support, into which many very skilled and
passionate people have contributed their talent. Still, in looking at
the proposed LPIC-3 structure, it seems that the LPIC program has
evolved into a form that's still extremely close to what Dan and I had
envisioned seven years ago. **

Congratulations to Matt and everyone who's worked to get LPIC-3 out.
You've made a lot of LPI old-timers proud.

- Evan

**  -- The only major difference was that originally exam 102 was
envisioned as a number of distribution-specific options. That later was
pruned down to a binary RPM/DPKG choice, and eventually they merged too.
There are some minor differences on LPIC-3 but it's still pretty close.