LPIC-3, was: Re: [lpi-discuss] RE: Linux Professional Institute changes...

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Dec 5 00:14:05 EST 2006

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> To your credit, SuSE _did_ release a 103 exam for the short-lived, and clearly "rushed to market" after Novell's acquisition (probably to appease those independent trainers who licensed its materials and ran the courses), SCLP.
A long and painful-to-recall precursor to the SCLP was the ill-fated
United Linux Certification Program.

UL was going to do then what Ubuntu has done now, with all four original
UL partners (Caldera, SuSE, Turbo, Conectiva) contributing to the
supplemental certification program. UL had in development both a "103"
and "203" exam, to allow for its own two levels of supplemental
certification (ULCP and ULCE); LPI was going to publish the UL exams,
manage the candidate database and handle certificate fulfillment.

The politics were incredible and the communications sometimes difficult,
but we all almost had it complete, just in time for Caldera and SCO to
merge. Soon after that, UL -- and its certification -- quickly died. The
SCLP program was the result of SuSE's determination to go ahead with an
add-on cert program after the dissapearance of UL -- much of what had
been in that exam was from the ULCP project. The SLCP program had been
in place for a while when SuSE got bought by Novell, which had its own
ideas of how to do a cert.

- Evan