[lpi-discuss] RE: Linux Professional Institute changes Recertification Policy -- the "2 issues, " plus LPI's direction ...

Sławomir Kawała slwkk at alternatywa.net
Tue Dec 5 11:11:44 EST 2006

Dnia Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:53:51 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> napisal(a||e)s:

> In the world outside of ISPs Samba is about the most useful thing an
> admin could ever have, and in terms of getting Linux used in
> corporates nothing else comes close to it.
(...)

Ok, I see your point of view. I understand that Samba is widely used in
many corporations, but is LPIC3 dedicated for people who works for
them? It is good idea to make some specializations and I think that for
example people who are responsible for (err i can't find suitable
word) 'keeping network in good conditions' (where linux is often used as
system running on routers) don't have to know Samba and they still
should have opportunity to get LPIC3.

I would like to take LPIC3 soon, and I will learn Samba if it will be
necessary, but I think that it would be waste of my time, because I am
not and I will not be a Samba user.

> Kind of like bash. It is the default shell on most distros but you
> don't have to use it. I know many admins who exclusively use csh, but
> they still have to know bash to get past LPIC-1.

It's bad example I think. You see shell is sth you have to use and it
is obvious. Right, there are plenty of various shells, but most of
them - these one which are widely used - are more or less POSIX
compliant. I mean when you know for example ksh you don't have to
learn bash from scratch. What about examination with bash I think there
should be questions about things which are similar in many shells, so
for example there should be no questions about regex support in bash
(which appeared in bash 3.x) and so on.

Sorry for my bad English.

--
pozdr. Sławomir Kawała