LPIC-3 core exam, was: Re: [lpi-discuss] RE: Linux Professional Institute changes Recertification Policy -- the "2 issues, " plus LPI's direction ...

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at outlands.ca
Tue Dec 5 17:10:34 EST 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> A tricky part of defining what is mandatory and what is elective is
> determining how broadly each technology is used. This is mostly art,
> some science with a healthy dose of luck and intuition thrown in. All I
> can add is that yes, Samba is to some degree a specialized topic, but
> in my experience it is the most widely deployed of all the
> specializations.

And this is where we disagree.  I do not believe Samba is widely
deployed at the level LPIC-3 is supposed to cover.  I am not pretending
that my experience is representative, but in the absence of
contradicting data points, that is what I am led to believe.

> I suppose it's a numbers game at the end of the day - the specialized
> subject that is most in use by the greatest *number* of admins will be
> the one that is mandatory. Sure its arbitrary, but something has to be
> mandatory and it might as well be Samba

Skills related to administrating Samba are not horizontally useful.
They cannot be applied to other field of application such as database
administration or web services.  Networking and security, on the other
hand, are generally useful, whatever field of applications you are
managing on Linux.  I would rather see the core exams test generally
useful skills, such as security and networking, and leave the
specialized skillset such as Samba to be tested by elective exams.

--
Etienne Goyer                                       0x3106BCC2

"For Bruce Schneier, SHA-1 is merely a compression algorithm."
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/164