[lpi-discuss] Re: LPIC-3 core exam -- I am an idiot

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Dec 6 06:30:54 EST 2006

On Wednesday 06 December 2006 00:37, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> One the smartest and most experienced members in my local Orlando LUG
> always starts his e-mails best with ...
>   "I am an idiot ..."
> Or similar variations.
>
> To that end, "I am an idiot" because I don't agree with the following
> from Etienne and Alan ... but thanx for "setting me straight."

Hi Bryan,

I'm not sure what you are driving at here - I read the words but can't
seem to derive your intent. It's either

a) You've somehow been wrong all along and are now eating humble pie, or
b) You are being wickedly self-deprecating to illustrate a point

I think it's b) but I'd like you to clarify it with a straight answer.

Regarding the actual subject matter and technologies: I can't recall
ever disagreeing with you on this. I read your posts and while it's
outside my area of expertise and experience, I usually grasp what you
are driving at, at least in broad terms.

I find it useful to view Objectives lists like this as two categories -
what would be the best solution on the one hand and what existing stuff
is out there in sufficient quantities to warrant close attention. These
are not always the same things. You argue a convincing case for
something in the former class and for what it's worth you get my vote
to incorporate it into LPIC-3. And then there's all these other
technologies, like Microsoft's offerings for example, and I see
customers asking how to get Linux to work with it, which of course
makes it important to test on a real world Linux exam.

That's really all I have to contribute on this matter, apart from a "me
too" whenever someone convinces me on a specific point.

alan