[lpi-discuss] Re: LPIC-3 core exam -- NFS _and_ SMB (not "versus")

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Dec 6 15:15:58 EST 2006

Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> But, I live in the real world, where ease of use, and
> simplification are also paramount.

And you say NFS isn't "easy"?  Or "not as easy" as Samba?

> If your courses are not addressing real world compromises like
> this,

What "compromises" do you speak of?
I don't understand your point at all?

> then your just creating another piece of paper. It could so
> easily be so much more worthwhile, like the RedHat ones
> ( dunno if they're actually still going?? )

So you're saying LPI should leave concepts to Red Hat?
Again, I don't understand your point at all?

> Dismissing samba

When did I dismiss Samba?  *WHEN*?

I merely stated that when Samba touches on general, core Linux
authentication and object mapping configuration, and those concepts
_overlap_ with those RPC services added to and supported in NFSv4,
they should _also_ be covered under the context that your "Samba
Server" is *ALSO* serving out NFSv4 to Linux and UNIX workstations.

> because commercial unices don't support it is pretty pointless
> in this day and age, especially when you're in the business of
> linux certification.

What three messages does this send?

LPI has no interest in testing enterprise knowledge of ...

A)  Linux server to UNIX client native RPC capabilities entirely

B)  Linux server to Linux client native RPC capabilities, despite
compatibility issues and limitations of using CIFS/SMB

And that even (indirectly) means ...

C)  Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) to Linux client, despite
compatibility issues of not using SFU's added ADS schema and sticking
only with Windows-designed CIFS/SMB

I mean, even Microsoft offers "C".  ;->

> I only joined this list to offer to put something back into the
> linux community as it's been so good to me. Looks like it was a
> pretty pointless idea, because you're ignoring all the really
> important practical lessons that could be taught just as easily.

What "practical lessons" are you talking about?

How do you automate SMB authentication, mounts, UNIX/Linux meta-data
and other attributes on Linux and UNIX clients in an enterprise?

Or are you saying we don't need to worry about anything but Linux
_server_ only for LPIC-3?

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com