[lpi-discuss] It's time to play "Common Linux Knowledge" ... -- WAS: Novell

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Dec 8 12:31:21 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 11:52 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> OK, now you've lost me. How does Novell promote the adoption and growth
> of Open Source exactly? By forking OO.org?

Since I utterly can't make a serious point, or at least one that people
bother to read, I'm going to try a different approach ...

Bob Albert:  Hello, and welcome to "Common Linux Knowledge"! I'm your
host, Bob Albert.  You all know our champion Les Shermeyer, a former
Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE) and new CrompTiti
Linux-Extra certified professional.  Now, let's meet our challenger,
Bryan Smith, the Red Hat, now LPI and Novell, ambassador to no one.
Bryan, are you ready?

Bryan Smith:  Yes, quite ready.

Bob Albert:  Well, that's good, because we're going to start with you.
What category, Bryan?

Bryan Smith:  Well, actually, I've been a user of "StarOffice" since the
mid-'90s, so I decided to make it interesting, and I choose "Office."

Bob Albert:  Alright, "Office" for $100, and the answer is:
  "The License of OpenOffice.org"

Bryan Smith:  Well, it's actually dual-licensed, "L-GPL" and ...
[ buzzer ]

Bob Albert:  Ooh, I'm sorry!  "GPL!"
[ approaches Les ]
Les, you want to stick with "Office"?

Les Shermeyer:  Uh.. no, Bob, let's go for "Forks."

Bob Albert:  "Forks," for $100:  "Linux kernel."

Les Shermeyer:  "GPL" software "Novell" has violated
[ ding ]

Bob Albert:  Alright!

Les Shermeyer:  Uh.. let's keep going.

Bob Albert:  "Samba" networking services

Les Shermeyer:  "GPL" software "Novell" is illegally distributing
[ dings ]

Bob Albert:  Very good, Les!

Les Shermeyer:  Let's go again!
[ Bryan looks on curiously ]

Bob Albert:  "OpenSSH"

Les Shermeyer:  The most secure "GPL v3" software that "Novell" cannot
use
[ ding ]

Bob Albert:  Whoa-ho! You're on a roll!

Les Shermeyer:  Let's go again.

Bob Albert:  "Mono"

Les Shermeyer:  The reason why Microsoft bought Novell, to force them to
put their ".NET/C#" IP in the core of Linux "GPL" software [ ding ]

Bob Albert:  The "Microsoft-Novell" Licensing Agreement

Les Shermeyer:  "The only one of its kind, and the reason why Novell has
to fork all GPL v3 software to GPL v2, and remove Section 7."  [ ding ]

Bob Albert:  You swept through that category! And now, let's go on to..?

Les Shermeyer:  "Office."

Bob Albert:  "Office," for $200:  Author of and Holder of Patents on
"OpenDocument Format" (ODF)

Les Shermeyer:  The Linux "community"
[ ding ]

Bob Albert:  Okay!

Les Shermeyer:  "Office" for $300, Bob!

Bob Albert:  "Office" for $300:  Author and Copyright Holder of
OpenOffice.org

Bryan Smith:  Sun Microsystems.
[ buzzer ]

Bob Albert:  Ohh, sorry.  The answer is the Linux "community."
[ addresses audience ]
And now, let's take a minute to explain the rules to "Common Linux
Knowledge".
"Questions" for our show are show are selected by lawyers from Princeton
University, the Free Software Foundation and Software In the Public
Interest to express a broad range of common knowledge that every Linux
should possess.
"Answers" for "Common Linux Knowledge" are determined by a nationwide
survey of general Linux advocates.  And now, back to you, Bryan.

Bryan: [ flabbergasted ] "History."

Bob Albert:  Alright!  "History," for $100:  This company purchased
"StarDivision" for approximately $250 and released the source code to
"StarOffice"

Bryan:  "Sun" Microsystems [ buzzer ]

Bob Albert:  Oh, sorry!  The answer is "IBM."  Les?>br>
Les Shermeyer:  I'm gonna stay with "History," Bob, for $200.

Bob Albert: History for $200:  The "Sistina," the company behind LVM,
and AOL-"Netscape" Directory Server purchases were made by this company.

Les Shermeyer:  "IBM." [ ding ]

Bob Albert:  Alright!

Les Shermeyer:  "History" for $300, Bob.

Bob Albert:  Alright.  When he created Linux, Linus "did it" for ...

Les Shermeyer:  "Just for fun?" [ buzzer ]

Bob Albert:  Oh, sorry. The answer is "World Domination."  Back to Bryan
Smith.

Bryan Smith:  Uh.. "History," for $400.

Bob Albert:  "History," for $400:  The man and his the company who
developed the first GNU Cross Compilers and the development of GCC
3 ..."

Bryan Smith:  "Michael Tie" .. uh ... "Richard Stallman" and the
"FSF" [ ding ]

Bob Albert:  Terrific, Bryan! You're on the board now!

Bryan Smith:  "History," for $500.

Bob Albert:  "History," for $500:  The "Microsoft" of Linux

Bryan:  "Novell!" [ buzzer ]

Bob Albert:  Oh, sorry.  "Red Hat."  We were looking for "Red Hat."
Tough one.  But, Bryan, don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to catch
up, because it's time for our Lighning Round!  Let's bring out the Linux
Noobs!  Bring them out!  [ one noob sits with Bryan, the other sits with
Les ]  Okay, Bryan, you're being teamed with Kyle Knopfler, a seasoned
Gentoo user from Troy, New York, or at least he knows how to spell it.

Bryan:  How do you do, pleased to meet you.

Kyle: Hi! [ tosses his hair ]

Bob Albert:  Kyle, has the Gentoo Documentation given you the tools you
need to go out into the real world?

Kyle:  Uh.. I.. you know.. whatever, I mean.. yeah, sure.. It runs
faster than anything! People who use Debian and Red Hat are stupid!
[ laughs ]

Bob Albert:  Terrific answer!
[ approaches the opposing team ]
And, Les, you're playing with Tracy Pollackson, a Debian user from New
York. Tracy, you were supposed to be on the show yesterday, but there
was a mix-up of some kind?

Tracy:  Someone made the mistake of that I like "Progeny" and used
"DCC"!  Down with "Ransom Love" and his "SCO lov'n!"  "Ian" should have
kicked him out long ago!!!  I was too upset.

Bob Albert:  Who-ho-ho-ho!  Alright, let's start our Lightning Round!
Les picked "Project Leaders."  Are you and Tracy ready?  Okay, go.

[ clock starts ticking ]

  ... cut rest of segement ...

Bryan: [ peeved ] May I say something, please? This program is an
outrage! This program just doesn't do justice to the Linux community,
which upholds the fragile integration of IP and commercial interests
against the public mindshare and license of community software
development!

I mean, doesn't anyone know Sun employs most of the OpenOffice.org
developers, virtually all that are full-time, and has a cross-licensing
agreement with Microsoft as well, and is also behind the OpenXML
integration as well?  After all, the OpenXML under the EMCA submission
doesn't protect against patents, hence why someone like Novell and Sun
must develop and release it, so people who use it are protected against
IP claims.  And it's completely allowed under the LGPL of OpenOffice.org
-- let alone for anyone who licenses StarOffice like Microsoft (as Sun
does MS Office in return)!  No fork required whatsoever!

Bob Albert:  Oh well, sor-ry Bry-an!  Les is still our champion, but
you'll be going home with $400 and a year's subscription to Linux
Magazine, the most widely-read technical publication in the Linux world.

Bryan Smith:  Among users new to Linux.
[ *sneers*Sys Admin is #1 in circulation for Linux*sneers* ]

Bob Albert:  Oh, whatever you say!  Well, anyway, that's "Common Linux
Knowledge".  And remember: It's not what you know, but what you think
you know!  Good night, everyone!

External blog articles on more "Less Common Linux Knowledge":
"The Five Types of Linux Corporations":
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2006/11/five-types-of-linux-corporations.html
"Software IP Licensing and GPL 2 v 3":
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2006/11/software-ip-licensing-and-gpl-2-v-3.html

And the "original transcript" ... ;->
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/87/87acommon.phtml

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com