[lpi-discuss] Press: Linux the focus of new Australian Masters degree

G. Matthew Rice matt at starnix.com
Thu Jan 26 20:59:48 EST 2006

"Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> writes:
> No.  Traditional engineers are a _minority_ and the _majority_ doesn't
> know why traditional engineering (and even the theory aspects of
> engineering technology), with its timeless theory, is still a
> _necessary_ detail, even though 99% of technicians don't need it to do
> well.
> Someone has to be around to invent the future products, not just spec
> them or install them.  ;->

You guys are reminding me of a quote I saw recently:

    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science
     and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything
     about science and technology."
                             -- Carl Sagan

And, I think that we'll all agree, it's getting worse.

TTYL,
--
g. matthew rice <matt at starnix.com>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20