[lpi-discuss] Is www.lpiforums.com "the official Linux Professional Institute forums"?

Ian Shields ishields at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 16 00:17:19 EST 2006

With regard to your question on how to pose a cp question, I think htere
are a multitude of possibilities. Take a look at the range of options for
cp and then start thinking about possibilities:

Write the command(s) to
(a) copy the file A from directory B to directory C
(b) copy the file from A from user B's home directory to user C's home
directory
(c) copy the file from A from user B's home directory to user C's home
directory, assuming the home directory of user B is not /home/B
(d) copy the file A from directory B to directory C only if both the B and
C directories are on the same file system
(e) copy the file A from directory B to directory C preserving the
original timestamp fo file A (or any other attribute you choose)
(f) copy the file A from directory B to directory C, removing any existing
file A in directory C before copyign
(g) copy the file A from directory B to directory C even if a non-writable
fiel A exists already in directory C
(h) copy the file A from directory B to directory C if an immutbale file A
already exists in directory C
(i) copy the file A from directory B to directory C and ensure that the
output file is not sparse
(j) copy the file A from directory B to directory C and attempt to make
the output file sparse
(k) copy the file D/A from directory B to directory C creating
subdirectory D if it does nto already exist.
(l) copy the file A from directory B to directory C prompting before
overwriting existing destination files

That's a dozen to start with, all requiring decent knowledge of the cp
command. I wouldn't rank them all of equal difficulty, but that wasn't the
original question. :-)

Ian Shields Ph.D.
Linux  Technologist, ISV & Developer Relations
IBM Corp
Research Triangle Park, NC
ishields at us.ibm.com