[lpi-discuss] [INFO] Vendor-independence "pays off"

Torsten Scheck torsten.scheck at gmx.de
Sun Sep 17 10:07:41 EDT 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote on 16/09/06 20:29:
[...]
> years ago? And let's not forget that most IT certs -- including the
> vendor-neutral ones -- are designed to maximize their own sales,
> offering further incentive to set the bar lower. This certainly plays a
> part in the decline of respect.

Right. To counter such developments, certification bodies need to be
accountable to industry or professional associations, which demand high
skill standards for their workforce or their peers, respectively.

When I read about professional certification in other industries, it
seems to be a different kind of certification world--much more like the
formal vocational education programmes in Germany.

e.g. the chartered financial analysts (CFAs)
in James DiIanni, 2003, "Increasing Value Through High-Stakes Testing"
http://www.clomedia.com/content/templates/clo_article.asp?articleid=327&zoneid=34

"Another factor contributing to the value of a high-stakes tests is how
passing grades are designated. Do the test designers set the minimum
passing score, or a minimum passing rate or percentage of test-takers?
With the CFA exam, only one of five candidates who initiate the program
actually achieves a charter. “Over time, our pass rates have gone down
because candidate performance has declined,” said Johnson.

By contrast, Johnson mentions that the programs with guaranteed pass
rates and fees for continuing education and certification renewal open
the door for value scrutiny. Similarly, how often the tests are offered
can also translate into value, especially if they function as a levee to
the job market. Some professions may only offer certification exams on a
limited calendar basis in order to regulate the net number of new people
who can practice in that particular profession."

Of course, it always depends on the actual certification demand. In
Germany certification programmes with a narrow and current technology
focus might be more appropriate than comprehensive programmes, as they
are just needed to complement the formal vocational IT education...

[...]
> Most interesting to me was the very last line of the Foote press
> release, including Linux in a list of "skills to watch", but (unlike
> most other entries in the list) not associating that potential to _any_
> certification.

Yes, I also noticed this. I found it very strange and attributed it to
the lower interest in Linux in the US. (Even though the study claims to
include samples from Europe. But it doesn't provide further details...)

Thank you for this nice conversation.

Cheers,
Torsten

Torsten Scheck <torsten.scheck at gmx.de>  Jabber:torsten at i0i0.de
GnuPG 1024D/728E 6696 F43D D622 78F1  F481 45C0 2147 69AB DD54
software engineer:open standards/access/knowledge:enthgnusiast