[lpi-discuss] [LPI-News] LPI Announces First LPIC-3 Certified Professionals

Scott Lamberton scottl at lpi.org
Thu Apr 12 11:57:39 EDT 2007

LPI Announces First LPIC-3 Certified Professionals

(Toronto, Canada and Tokyo, Japan: April 12, 2007) The Linux
Professional Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification
organization (http://www.lpi.org), announced the world's first recipient
of the LPIC-3 Core certification: Kazufumi Ichikawa of Japan.  In addition,
LPI announced that Tzu-Wei Hsu of Taiwan was the first in the world to
earn the LPI-302 Mixed Environment speciality certification while
Michael Gisbers of Germany was the first "beta" exam recipient of both
the LPIC-3 Core and the LPI-302 Mixed Environment certifications.

LPIC-3 represents the highest level of distribution-neutral Linux
certification within the IT industry and is targeted at Linux
professionals providing technology services at the enterprise level.
The "Core" certification consists of a single exam (LPI-301) and additional
speciality certifications--LPI-302 Mixed Environment is the first such
speciality certification.

Jim Lacey, President and CEO of LPI, noted that the achievement of these IT
professionals coming so soon after the LPIC-3 program launch in February
represents the value of this enterprise-level certification to the industry:
"The IT industry spoke loud and clear about the strong need for skills
verification at the enterprise-level.  They helped us build a relevant
program and now companies, governments and individual professionals are
embracing this higher level certification around the world. This is the
logical next step to ensure we provide a stable growth platform for Open
Source adoption in both the public and private sectors."

Kazufumi Ichikawa, a Systems Integrator with Quest Co. Ltd--an IT
service company based in Japan with annual sales of $54 million (see
http://www.quest.co.jp/), stated that pursuing the LPIC-3 certification
was important both to his career development and to clients: "My company
invests in certification for its employees and sees LPI as an important
part of their Linux business.  As well, included in the LPIC-3
certification is significant detail on LDAP which one of my important
clients needs high level support and services for.  This certification
will enable me to demonstrate my skills in this area." Mr.Ichikawa noted
that although there are few training resources available for LPIC-3 at
the moment he was able to prepare for the exam through self-study
through the Internet and the use of books on specific technical subjects
covered by the exam objectives.

Tzu-Wei Hsu, an IT instructor in Taiwan remarked on the relevancy of the LPIC-3
exams: "The LPIC-3 exams are an excellent demonstration of senior Linux skills
and experience.  I have been studying Linux since I was a college student
and frequently encourage my students to pursue LPI certification."

The LPIC-3 Core certification (LPI 301) focuses on skills in authentication,
troubleshooting, network integration and capacity planning.  This "core"
certification can be supplemented by additional "speciality"
certifications: the first being LPI-302 Mixed Environment.  Other
proposed "speciality" certifications include Security, High Availability
and Virtualization, Web and Intranet, and Mail and Messaging.  Detailed
information on the LPIC-3 program, exam objectives, tasks and sample
questions can be found at http://www.lpi.org/lpic-3.  Both the LPI 301
and 302 exam are available worldwide in English and in Japanese (in
Japan only) at Prometric and VUE testing centres.  The LPIC-3 exam (301)
is priced at $250 US in most jurisdictions and at 30,000 Yen in Japan.
However, local affiliates may provide special introductory pricing.
Exam candidates are advised to contact their local affiliate or testing
centre for pricing details.  The LPI-302 exam is $150 US worldwide and
20,000 Yen in Japan.

The LPIC-3 certification program was developed through the volunteer
efforts of over 300+ volunteer IT professionals from around the world.
This exam development process included "beta" exams offered in
Australia, Brazil, Canada, Ethiopia, Germany, India, Japan, the Netherlands,
South Africa, UK, and the USA which were used to establish the psychometric data necessary to ensure
exam questions and objectives were relevant and of the highest quality.
Due to exceptional exam scores checked against the final exam 18 people
from the "beta" process have been awarded LPIC-3 Core certifications and 11
the LPI-302 Mixed Environment speciality.

Michael Gisbers, who was the first "beta" participant to receive both Level 3 certifications spoke
highly of the program: "I appreciated the opportunity to participate in
this innovative exam development process.  LPI goes to significant
lengths to ensure that their exams match the needs of IT professionals.
This "beta" process also ensured that there is an additional level of
transparency in that IT professionals have an extra opportunity for
input into the quality of the exams.  To be also be awarded the LPIC-3
certifications was a great bonus."

The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise and professionals and within government and the
educational community. LPI's certification program is delivered
worldwide in multiple languages at over 7,000 testing locations and is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents. Since the
program's inception, LPI has delivered over 145,000 exams and 45,000
LPIC certifications around the world.

- 30 -

About Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills
on Linux and Open Source technologies through the global delivery of
comprehensive, top quality, vendor-independent exams. Established as an
international non-profit organization in 1999 by the Linux community,
the Linux Professional Institute continues to demonstrate recognized
global leadership in the certification of Linux professionals while
advancing the Linux and Open Source movement through strategic partners,
sponsorships, innovative programs and community development activities.

LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal,
Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors,
Hewlett-Packard and IDG

Media contact:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
Email: scottl at lpi.org
Web: http://www.lpi.org
Telephone: +1-416-666-1574

Contact: Scott Lamberton, Director of Communications
Email: scottl at lpi.org
Telephone: +1-416-666-1574