[lpi-discuss] Re: LPIC-3 tutorials and all that

Scott Lamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Thu Apr 10 12:09:33 EDT 2008

"...LPI does not believe that certification is a blanket solution for
Linux (or any other operating system for that matter). In our considered
opinion there is no substitute for experience! "

The above quote comes from FAQ 1.5 at
http://www.lpi.org/en/lpi/english/certification/faq/1_general

Since it's out of context I include the full FAQ below.

I'm not an IT professional nor am I an IT Trainer.  I work in customer
service and I couldn't be happier that there is now self-study material
available for LPIC-3.  I am grateful to IBM DeveloperWorks in this regard.
I am asked constantly for this kind of resource and besides pointing to
the exam objectives haven't had this kind of thing.  Now I do.  I used
to have the same problem for LPIC-2 (I've been with LPI for 4
years)--thankfully on this latter point this is becoming less of an
issue everyday.

I've just returned from IT360.  It used to be LinuxWorld Toronto.  A
very interesting phenomenon has been the sudden increase/interest in the
number of people pursuing LPIC-2 along with those entering our
certification track intent on pursuing ALL three levels of
certification.  I've not seen anything like it in years of IT shows.
LPI has always valued experience and knowledge over the pursuit of
accreditation in itself--as the FAQ demonstrates below.  However,
sometimes we need to be responsive to the market.  There was--and
continues to be an industry demand for this higher level of
certification--and the supportive resources that go along with that.  I
very much welcome those that participate in that process and are
voluntarily responsive to the needs of those IT professionals who
embrace our program.

Ian--thanks for putting up the url ;-)

scott*

1.5. I've worked with a lot of "certified" people and haven't been
impressed with their competence. What do you say to this type of
criticism?*

First of all LPI does not believe that certification is a blanket
solution for Linux (or any other operating system for that matter). In
our considered opinion there is no substitute for experience! That said,
people do have to start somewhere and that is the biggest fallacy in the
overall perception of certificate programs. There is a profound
difference between a certification holder or non-certificationholder
with 5 years of Linux experience and a certification holder with 6
months of experience with Linux. Depending on the talents of the
individuals in question that difference could be huge. However that is
not necessarily a shortfall of the certificate program but rather hiring
situations where non-experienced people are expected to perform at the
same level as their more experienced colleagues.,LPI believes that, as
in all things, people's individual talent, skill and work ethic will
ultimately determine their success in the IT field. Nevertheless, LPI
certifications will provide potential employers with a standard to
measure the technical quality and competence of a given candidate. The
rest is up to the candidate..

--
Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications