[lpi-discuss] Training

ross brunson ross at brunson.org
Wed Feb 13 20:08:06 EST 2008

Like Alan, I think that if they are brand new to Linux, you will have to do at least the following:

3 days - Linux Fundamentals, map this to the Linux+ so they get a certification or a consolation prize if they don't pass any or all of the LPI exams.

101 - 5 days, and that's an action-packed fun-filled 5 days, loads of commands and options etc

102 - 5 days, little harder than the 101, tougher topics, slightly higher level of difficulty, very services-centric

Having said that,  I did a lot of bootcamps for the LPIC1, 7 days, first exam on evening of Day 3, second exam on evening of Day 6, morning of Day 7.  The students who managed not to pass either the 101 (very few) or passed the 101 and bagged the 102 (larger number) I strongly encouraged to take the Linux+, they'd covered all those objectives and more, and it's a great way to get that cert done.  I had a very high success rate for full LPIC1's, and to do that I spent many hours before each class making sure potential students were up to speed on what they needed to know, urging them to do the prep work, then when they got to class they worked even harder all day with presentations and labs and a review of that day each night.

I eventually got to the point where the books that were available weren't adequate or too out of date, so I ended up writing the LPIC 1 Exam Cram, which I used as pre-reading, sending it to every attendee as part of the course, and they used that as the evening study material for each day, averaging 2-3 chapters a night.  That cut about 1.5 hours out of my lecturing and answering questions, a much needed relief, and was a different avenue than the lecture/labs/review, a different channel to the LPIC station, as it were.

I recommend using either the O'Reilly 100/200 book's first section or my book as a prep work, and both have loads of sample questions to help them get focused.  That way, if they do read the whole thing, they'll show up with a lot of their otherwise beginner "what's that big red button do?" questions already answered and be at a higher level for the actual Instructor-led classes.

Oh, a final note, I had a lot of "recovering MCSE" types come through, and if your instructor has the capability (I do, lots of others do too) to help them fill in their windows -> linux mental comparison table, they'll actually find they know much more about Linux than they thought, it's just what is it called, and where is the file, and that everything _IS_ a file.

HTH,

Ross