Activation date of new LPIC-10x objectives Was: [Re: [lpi-discuss] Can I still use my exam?]

Anselm Lingnau anselm.lingnau at linupfront.de
Mon Oct 20 12:56:41 EDT 2008

Scott Lamberton wrote:

> Two weeks ago changes in publication schedule were communicated to
> Master Affiliates so that they in turn could inform their partners.
> This is how Anselm found out.  This change in publication scedule was
> actually due to thorough consultation with community members, industry
> and other stakeholders.

Guess what: I'm a stakeholder here as well. We discussed the matter of the
activation date with Matt at the Berlin TAC in May (where a transition period
during which both sets of objectives would be active was pondered), and
apparently the issue came up again at the TAC in SF in August. The
postponement issue was then briefly touched upon on this list as »unofficial,
definite announcement to follow«.

That news took six weeks to reach us via the Master Affiliates. Even then we
had to ask back to see whether this was actually official, and apparently
(see the message by Karl) not everybody in fact did get it through them.

> This step-by-step process was to ensure that various stakeholders had an
> opportunity to ask further questions, respond in an informed fashion
> from their various constituencies, and allow us to refine our
> communications for public announcement.

Excuse me for thinking that this is ridiculous. You knew about this in August
already. The courseware authors are among the *main* stakeholders as far as
the activation of the new objectives is concerned -- we need to have our
stuff in place before other people (like candidates) can reasonably consider
changing over. Sitting on something for nearly two months while people keep
asking »is this official? is this official?« is *not* good communications --
consider that, by August, all the commercial training providers (our
customers) will have sent their catalogues for the next year to the print
shop. You cannot begin to imagine the pressure these people put on *us*
during July and early August to find out what LPI was going to be like in
2009. Sorry, but you dropped the ball here (again).

Or did you really need from early August to early October to figure out how to
handle the transition?

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau ... Linup Front GmbH ... Linux-, Open-Source- & Netz-Schulungen
anselm.lingnau at linupfront.de, +49(0)6151-9067-103, Fax -299, www.linupfront.de