[lpi-discuss] [LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute announces new UK affiliate

Scott Lamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Mon Oct 20 13:47:23 EDT 2008

Linux Professional Institute announces new UK affiliate

(Bristol, UK: October 20, 2008) The Linux Professional Institute (LPI),
 the world's premier Linux certification organization
(http://www.lpi.org), announced a new affiliate for their program in the
United Kingdom to be operated by long time LPI collaborator, LinuxIT.

"We are very pleased to have LinuxIT lead our efforts in the UK to
advance Linux professionalism and LPI certification," said Jim Lacey,
President and CEO of the Linux Professional Institute: "LinuxIT has a
strong track record in the UK in promoting LPI training programs and
fully embraces our vendor-neutral approach to Linux certification." Mr.
Lacey pointed out that LinuxIT was one of the first LPI Approved
Training Partners (LPI-ATP) in the UK and has also created
publicly-available LPI Approved Training Materials (LPI-ATM) for the
International Open Source Network of the United Nations Development
Program (for more information see:
http://www.iosn.net/training/system-adminstrator/lpi-manual/view).
Mr. Lacey made his remarks following a presentation of an LPI Master
Affiliate plaque to LinuxIT representatives welcoming the organization
into LPI's Global Affiliate Network.

Peter Dawes-Huish, CEO of LinuxIT, stressed that the new UK affiliate
would be an independent organization to advance the interests of all
Linux training organizations in the UK: "We have established an
independent body, LPI-UK, to maintain neutrality and to bring together
all of the training partners.  Our goal is to work together in a
comfortable and inclusive manner to ensure that a
credible and recognized Linux certification is available. Our aim is to
ensure that all UK Linux training is accredited under the LPI framework
and to help training partners in sourcing and delivering the wide range
of internationally recognized Linux certifications."

Mr. Lacey and representatives of LinuxIT made the announcement following
meetings with Bristol City Council where municipal authorities are
actively introducing Linux training and the adoption of Open Source
Software into the city's services as part of their efforts to save on
licensing costs, enhance security efforts and promote the life-long
learning of their technological support staff.  Mr. Lacey presented a
"Certificate of Participation" to Bristol municipal staff (Dave
Strawford, Dave Tibbs and John Lloyd) for having successfully completed
their first exam in the LPIC-1 certification program.

The Linux Professional Institute is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government
entities and the educational community. LPI's certification program is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents and is
distributed worldwide in multiple languages in more than 7,000 testing
locations. Since 1999, LPI has delivered more than 185,000 exams and
60,000 LPIC certifications around the world.

- 30 -

About the Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills
on Linux and Open Source technologies through the global delivery of
comprehensive, top-quality, vendor-independent exams. Established as an
international non-profit organization in 1999 by the Linux community,
the Linux Professional Institute continues to demonstrate recognized
global leadership in the certification of Linux professionals. LPI
advances the Linux and Open Source movement through strategic partners,
sponsorships, innovative programs and community development activities.
LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal,
Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors, HP
and IDG.

About LinuxIT:

LinuxIT helps companies throughout Europe by delivering IT consulting,
technology and support services through the integration of Open Source
solutions.  Peter Dawes-Huish, CEO for LinuxIT, has been part of CRN's
A-List for two years in a row and is a member of the Society of Industry
Leaders (SIL).  In 2006 LinuxIT was chosen ‘IT Services Supplier of the
Year’ at the Computing Awards for Excellence.

Media Contacts:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
Email: slamberton_at_lpi.org
Web: http://www.lpi.org
Telephone: +1-905-269-0862

Bill Quinn
LPI-UK
Email: bill.quinn_at_lpi-uk.org
Web: http://www.lpi-uk.org

Contact: Scott Lamberton, Director of Communications
Email: slamberton at lpi.org
Telephone: +1-905-269-0862