[lpi-discuss] vmstat output and process swapped (a question in lpi 301 exam)

G. Matthew Rice matt at starnix.com
Tue Jun 9 19:12:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 22:51 +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Where can I get vmstat reference were explain how to get this number ?
> vmstat manpage seems to don't give any clue about.

Hi Javier,

It's a read-between-the-lines question.  You need to be able to analyze
the various metrics and "figure it out".

> There was at least one ambiguous question in the exam, perhaps, a
> button 'ambiguous' in the exam program could help making better the
> exams in the future.

There is.  It's called the "Comment" button. ;)

> PD: Sorry if is not allow posting about lpi question here (where
> should I post it?)

This is sooo close to divulging LPI items that you shouldn't post it
anywhere.  In fact, you've already made 3 people call me "freaking out"
about this question.

C'mon, guys.  Really.  Why the preambles?  What's wrong with a straight
forward question like:

   How do I figure out how many processes swapped in a given period with
vmstat?

No mention of exams, not repeating something very close to the exam
question.  Just a simple, "how do I...".

Regards,
--matt