[lpi-discuss] Which dists are closest to New LPIC 101/102Objectives?

G. Matthew Rice matt at starnix.com
Tue May 26 10:42:19 EDT 2009

Andy Goldschmidt <andy.goldschmidt at forlinux.co.uk> writes:
> I personally use "Debian 4" and "Centos 5"

Good choice.  Debian 5 wasn't released until Feb.  A couple of months after
the latest objectives were released.

Also, absence of these commands/files from the latest distro shouldn't be a
cause to not learn about them.  As a professional, you won't always get to
work on the latest distro versions ;)

regards,
--matt

> I also have a "Redhat 9" virtual machine  for the really old objectives.
>

> On Sun, 24 May 2009 22:56:11 -0400, "Ted Jordan, JordanTeam Learning LLC"
> <ted at jordanteam.com> wrote:
> > Just finished reviewing the latest objectives, and am having
> > a hard time finding/matching settings, files, commands for the
> > dists that I'm using (Fedora 10, and Debian 5).  The main
> > issues are in the 102 Objectives
> >
> > 1) I found that syslog is gone, and replaced with rsyslog
> > 2) ubuntu no longer uses /etc/inittab (sysV) startup
> > 4) no xorg.conf in Fedora
> > 7) cannot find GOK or emacspeak for Fedora or Debian
> > 8) tzconfig not available on Fedora/Debian
> >
> > Searched thru repos for some of these and no luck
> >

> --
>
> The information contained in this message or any of its attachments maybe
> confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).
> Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use
> of this communication is strictly prohibited without the express permission
> of the sender. The views expressed in this email are those of the individual
> and not necessarily those of ForLinux Limited.
>
> ForLinux Limited email is for business use only.

g. matthew rice <matt at starnix.com>      starnix care, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20