[lpi-discuss] LPIC 2 study material ?

slamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Wed Feb 3 22:54:28 EST 2010

Ian Shields wrote:

<snip>

> LPI is not a vendor, but is vendor neutral. It's a small organization
> that probably doesn't have resources to provide training materials as
> well as certification. We could argue about whether it should provide
> training, but the fact is that it has chosen to certify training
> partners who meet certain standards. I'd like to get our new LPIC-1
> materials (
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lpic1-v3-map/index.htm
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lpic1-v3-map/index.htm>
> ) certified, but I have to finish them first.
>
> If you're interested in LPIC-3, we (IBM developerWorks) have some
> materials at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/301.html
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/301.html>
>
> Although I have met several of the folks from LPI and sit on the LPI
> Technical Advisory Council, I do not work for LPI, and do not speak for
> them, so these opinions are my own.

Ian, you won't be able to "certify" training materials any
more--although actually the term was formerly "approved".  Many
courseware providers (and in particular some of our affiliates looking
for language specific materials) described the approval process as a
barrier to the introduction of new material.  In some regions local
affiliates will operate "approval" processes for training material but
LPI international will not.  However, we will continue to "approve"
training partners.

Unfortunately the release of our new exams coincided with a world wide
recession such that many publishers have been adverse to take the risk
of re-issuing old titles.  LPI is vendor neutral AND training
agnostic--we rely on the market to provide for exam preparation
material.  This has been challenging this past year and every month when
this topic raises itself on either lpi-discuss or lpi-examdev
(particularly in regard of LPIC-2) I dutifully take it to my colleagues
and management for discussion.

In the interim we will continue to engage publishers and point them to
these list discussions to demonstrate that there is indeed pent-up
demand for such exam preparation materials.

Thanks for the comments!

scott

--
Scott Lamberton