[lpi-discuss] [LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute Announces New Affiliate in East Africa

Scott Lamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Wed May 11 11:02:44 EDT 2011

LPI Announces New Affiliate in East Africa

(Sacramento, CA, USA: May 11, 2011) The Linux Professional Institute
(LPI), the world's premier Linux certification organization
(http://www.lpi.org), announced a new affiliate in Africa: LPI-East
Africa. LPI-East Africa will promote LPI programs and certifications in
the nations of Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia and
South Sudan.

"In 2010, the percentage growth of LPI exams was significant in Africa.
This increase in testing demonstrates the active and progressive
adoption of Linux and Open Source technologies on the continent. The
emergence of LPI-East Africa is a further indication of this trend and
we welcome this new affiliate into our network of global partners
promoting Linux and Open Source professionalism," said Jim Lacey,
president and CEO of the Linux Professional Institute.

LPI-East Africa will be managed by Evans Ikua, a long time advocate of
Linux and Open Source solutions in Kenya and other nations throughout
East Africa. Mr. Ikua is also the FOSS Certification Manager for
ict at innovation--a joint project of FOSSFA - The Free Software and Open
Source Foundation for Africa (FOSSFA: http://www.fossfa.net/) and the
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
(http://www.giz.de).

Mr. Ikua was the founding chairman of the Linux Professional Association
of Kenya and provides Linux and Open Source web solutions and training
programs through his consulting company, LANet Consulting.

"The formation of Linux Professional Institute-East Africa marks a major
milestone in the development of the Open Source community in East
Africa. As a Master Affiliate for LPI in this region, we are now
positioned strategically to offer better leadership on all Open Source
matters. We are now entering into an exciting new realm where we will
not only have the capacity to promote the use of Open Source, but we
will also have the backing of a globally respected brand. This truly
goes to confirm that LPI is a community driven professional body," said
Evans Ikua, executive director, LPI-East Africa.

Inquiries on LPI-East Africa activities and programs may be directed to:
operations at east-africa.lpi.org

The Linux Professional Institute is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government
entities and the educational community. LPI's certification program is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents and is
distributed worldwide in multiple languages at more than 7,000 testing
locations. Since 1999, LPI has delivered over 290,000 exams and 95,000
LPIC certifications around the world.

# # #

About the Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute provides a global framework, industry
leadership and other services to enhance, develop and further lifelong
professional careers in Linux and Open Source technologies. Established
as an international non-profit organization in September 1999 by the
Linux community, the Linux Professional Institute continues to
demonstrate recognized global leadership, direction and skill standards
for those who pursue a career in Linux and Open Source technology. LPI
advances the Linux and Open Source movement through strategic partners,
sponsorships, innovative programs and community development activities.
LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal,
Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors, HP
and IDG.

Media Contacts:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications
Linux Professional Institute
http://www.lpi.org
slamberton at lpi.org
+1-905-269-0862

Evans Ikua
Executive Director
LPI-East Africa
operations at east-africa.lpi.org
Cell: +254-722-955831

Contact: Scott Lamberton, Director of Communications
Email: slamberton at lpi.org
Telephone: +1-905-269-0862