[LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute Certification Exams Top 100, 000 Worldwide

Scott Lamberton scottl at lpi.org
Wed Nov 16 10:38:07 EST 2005

Linux Professional Institute Certification Exams Top 100,000 Worldwide

(Frankfurt, Germany - November 16, 2005): The Linux Professional
Institute (LPI), (http://www.lpi.org), the world's premier Linux
certification organization announced that their exam totals have topped
the 100,000 mark and continue to demonstrate strong global growth.
Notable IT companies such as IBM, Novell, SGI, NEC and others joined
together in congratulating LPI on this achievement.

“Just over a year ago we reached the 50,000 mark after only four years
as an organization. We have since doubled that number," said Jim Lacey,
Chairman of the LPI Board of Directors. "This demonstrates the growing
significance and need for a certified body of Linux professionals to
support the integration of a Linux platform within an enterprise
environment. Furthermore it demonstrates that LPI has unequivocally
increased its industry reputation as the global leader in providing
standardized, vendor-independent Linux certification," added Mr. Lacey.
Mr. Lacey noted that the organization announced in February that it had
delivered 75,000 exams worldwide--reaching two milestones in a single year.

Industry representatives were quick to offer notes of congratulations
recognizing LPI's contribution to the advancement of Linux education and
professionalism.

"We congratulate the Linux Professional Institute on having delivered
100,000 Linux certification exams world wide," said Bob Bishop, Chairman
and CEO of SGI.  "This represents a significant achievement in the
advancement of Linux professionalism and education and at SGI we
recognize the importance of supporting an international standard in
Linux skills and knowledge. As long time sponsors and supporters of LPI,
we are pleased to have been part of this successful effort."

"Linux training and certification are critical to developing skilled
Linux systems administrators and building a strong and vibrant Linux
ecosystem," said Jeff Smith, Vice President, Linux and Open Source
Middleware, IBM. "LPI performs a key role through its vendor-neutral
training approach, and the success of LPI is shown by it reaching the
milestone of 100,000 exams. IBM sponsors and supports LPI and Linux
education in a variety of ways, such as offering a set of LPI tutorials
on developerWorks to help developers learn Linux fundamentals and
prepare for their LPI certification."

"The Linux Professional Institute has achieved a notable milestone in
the advancement of Linux skills and knowledge. The successful delivery
of 100,000 Linux certification exams globally points to the growing
importance and relevance of Linux in the corporate enterprise,
government and small and medium-sized businesses," said Dan Veitkus,
Vice President of Training for Novell, Inc. "As a platinum sponsor and
supporter of LPI, we are grateful for the many contributions LPI has
made to customers worldwide with the delivery of their notable
certification programs."

"This notable achievement of the Linux Professional Institute points to
the importance of a professional vendor-neutral certification for
Linux," said Ms. Chieko Takahashi, Senior Manager of the Linux Promotion
Center, Computers Software Operation Unit, NEC.  "Business enterprise
around the globe must be able to rely on a certification standard that
truly measures Linux skills and knowledge but which is not tied to one
choice of Linux distribution," added Ms.Takahashi. "We at NEC, as long
time supporters and sponsors of LPI, are proud to have been part of
advancing this international, open and professional standard."

"Thomson Prometric would like to extend its heartfelt congratulations to
Linux Professional Institute on reaching such a worthy milestone," said
Alex Gray, Executive Director of IT Client Services, Thomson Prometric.
"It has been our pleasure to work with LPI, supporting their highly
respected program through our worldwide network of testing centers and
we are certain this achievement will be followed by additional LPI
milestones in the coming years."

LPI offers a standardized, multi-national and highly respected program
to certify levels of professional expertise in Linux. Exams are created
using industry recognized psychometrics and accredited test development
processes to ensure high quality exams with direct relevance to the
skills being tested. LPI's certification program is delivered worldwide
in seven different languages with the support of employers, vendors and
trainers. Level One and Level Two certifications (LPIC-1 and LPIC-2)
reflect the successful completion of two exams at each level.

LPI made the announcement at LinuxWorld in Frankfurt, Germany and was
hosted by officials from their affiliate LPI-German. "We are proud to
say that our numbers are climbing, at a time when other,
vendor-specific, certification exam numbers seem to be dropping,” said
Reiner Brandt, President of LPI-German. “We believe this to be
indicative of the recognition, world-wide, that we are indeed the
leaders in vendor-independent and vendor-neutral certifications that are
available to Linux professionals,” added Brandt. Mr. Brandt also noted
that a significant market for LPI certification was in Europe,
particularly in Germany, which had the highest amount of LPI certified
professionals world wide after Japan.

LPI started in 1999 as a grassroots organization aimed at removing
obstacles to Open Source adoption and increasing the skill level of the
Linux community. LPI has since delivered exams in almost every country
and has gained the support of vendors, trainers, employers and
governments. In addition, LPI supports affiliate networks on five
continents, worldwide, including Brazil, Bulgaria, United States, Japan,
Canada, Germany, Australia, China, France, the United Kingdom and South
Africa.

-- 30 --

The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) develops professional
certification for the Linux operating system, independent of software
vendors or training providers. Established as an international
non-profit organization in 1999 by the Linux community, LPI develops
accessible, internationally-recognized certification programs which have
earned the respect of vendors, employers and administrators. LPI's
activities involve hundreds of volunteers and professionals throughout
the world in many different capacities, and the group encourages active
public involvement through mailing lists and its website at www.lpi.org.
LPI's multi-level program of exams is administered globally through
Pearson VUE and Prometric testing centers. LPI's major financial
sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal, Linux Magazine,
Maxspeed, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors,
Hewlett-Packard and IDG.

Media contact:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Community Relations