[LPI-News] LPI Certification Exams Top 150,000 Worldwide

Scott Lamberton scottl at lpi.org
Wed Aug 22 12:31:41 EDT 2007

LPI Certification Exams Top 150,000 Worldwide

(Toronto, Canada- August 22, 2007): The Linux Professional Institute
(LPI),  (http://www.lpi.org), the world's premier Linux certification
organization announced that their exam totals have topped the 150,000 mark
and continues to demonstrate strong global growth. Notable IT companies
such as NEC, Fujitsu, Hitachi and others joined together in congratulating
LPI on this achievement.

Jim Lacey, President and CEO of the Linux Professional Institute noted the
organization's notable growth in the last two years: "In February 2005,
five years after our program's inception, we announced that we had
achieved 75,000 exams worldwide.  In half that time we have doubled the
number. This demonstrates the growing momentum and importance of Linux
professionalism in the IT industry.  Furthermore, it firmly establishes
LPI as the global leader in Linux certification."

Industry representatives were quick to offer notes of congratulations
recognizing LPI's contribution to the advancement of Linux education and
professionalism:

“Fujitsu welcomes the news that the number of LPIC exams delivered has
exceeded 150,000. With the largest body of Linux professionals worldwide,
LPIC is widely recognized as a global standard for accurately evaluating
the competency of Linux professionals.  Fujitsu anticipates that LPIC will
be even further recognized in the future as an international certification
which accurately and quantitatively evaluates Linux-related skills,” said
Takeshi Kamura, Manager, Linux Technology Development Division, Server
Systems Unit, Fujitsu Limited.

"Hitachi congratulates LPI for having exceeded 150,000 exams worldwide.
Linux will continue to expand globally and the importance and need for LPI
certification are enormous. We expect to see that LPIC continues to grow
as the de facto certification standard for Linux professionals," said
Tomomi Suzuki, Director of OSS promotion, OSS Technology Center, Software
Division, Hitachi, Ltd.

"NEC who utilizes Linux OS from cellular phones to mainframe
computers, congratulates LPI on having delivered over 150,000 exams
globally. With the launch of LPIC-3 this year NEC has high expectations
for LPI.  However, we also expect LPI to continuously evaluate Linux
professionals in a fair manner and independent from any other
organization," said Chieko Takahashi, Group Manager, Open Source Software
Promotion Center, OSS Platform Develpment Division, NEC Corporation.

"LPI's vendor neutral approach is to be commended.  What would you think
of an applicant who presents a certificate that allows him to drive just
one specific brand of automobile, instead of an applicant who has a
regular driver's license? At Linuxhotel, we teach long term knowledge that
has a wide range of use - and LPI is the Swiss-Army-Knife among all Linux
certifications. We congratulate LPI on the achievement of this notable
milestone," said Reinhard Wiesemann of the Linuxhotel, an IT training and
service provider, in Essen, Germany.

"LPI's 150,000 exam achievement is to be commended and exemplifies the
critical role of their certification program in setting professional standards for
Linux in the IT industry.  We at the Linux Foundation look forward to
working with LPI in the future to ensure the ongoing development of Open
Source standards and recognize the unique role they have played in that
effort thus far," said Jim Zemlin, Executive Director, The Linux
Foundation.

LPI offers a standardized, multi-national and highly respected program
to certify levels of professional expertise in Linux. Exams are created
using industry recognized psychometrics and professional test
development processes to ensure high quality exams with direct relevance
to the skills being tested. LPI's certification program is delivered
worldwide in multiple languages with the support of employers,
vendors and trainers. Level One and Level Two certifications (LPIC-1 and
LPIC-2) reflect the successful completion of two exams at each level.
LPIC-3 certification, launched in February 2007, requires completion of a
single exam--however an additional specialty in "Mixed Environment" (LPI-302) is also
available.

The Linux Professional Institute (LPI) is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise and professionals and within government and the
educational community. LPI's certification program is delivered
worldwide in multiple languages at over 7,000 testing locations and is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents. Since the
programs inception, LPI has delivered over 155,000 exams and 47,000+
LPIC certifications around the world.

-30-

About Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills
on Linux and Open Source technologies through the global delivery of
comprehensive, top quality, vendor-independent exams. Established as an
international non-profit organization in 1999 by the Linux community,
the Linux Professional Institute continues to demonstrate recognized
global leadership in the certification of Linux professionals while
advancing the Linux and Open Source movement through strategic partners,
sponsorships, innovative programs and community development activities.
LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal,
Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux as well as Gold Sponsors,
Hewlett-Packard and IDG

Media contact:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications