[LPI-News] Linux Professional Institute recognized by UK education authorities

Scott Lamberton slamberton at lpi.org
Thu Oct 21 11:41:08 EDT 2010

LPI recognized by UK education authorities

(London, UK and Sacramento, CA, USA: October 21, 2010) The Linux
Professional Institute (LPI), the world's premier Linux certification
organization (http://www.lpi.org), announced that the LPIC-1
certification program for Linux professionals has been accepted as a
nationally recognized IT accreditation for college students at secondary
schools and technical colleges in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
LPI's affiliate, LPI-UK (http://www.lpi-uk.org/) worked in co-operation
with e-skills UK (http://www.e-skills.com/) to ensure this initiative.
In addition, the two organizations are working in partnership with the
Scottish Qualifications Authority (http://www.sqa.org.uk) to recognize
LPIC-1 as a nationally accepted award and SCQF Credit within Scotland as
well.

e-skills UK is a non-profit employer-led organization which brings
together employers, educators and Government to address
technology-related skills issues in the UK. The organization also
regulates all IT qualifications for the UK "Qualification and Credit
Framework": http://www.qcda.gov.uk/qualifications/60.aspx

In addition, e-skills UK is working to have LPI's LPIC-2 program
recognized as a nationally accepted qualification.

"This recognition by accreditation authorities in the UK, particularly
for technical students between the ages of 14-18 years of age,
demonstrates the value of LPI's certification program as a means of
qualifying aspiring IT professionals for employment. LPI has always
maintained that our strength has been in the workforce development of
Linux professionals. Similarly, this announcement is in line with the
increasing acceptance of our certification as an IT standard in other
jurisdictions around the globe," said Jim Lacey, president and CEO of
LPI. Mr. Lacey noted that under this initiative in the UK, students who
earned their LPIC-1 status would be eligible for college or high school
credits towards their qualifications as well as credit towards
university entrance.

"We are pleased to include LPI and their LPIC-1 certification program
within our list of acceptable IT qualifications for our technical
students throughout the UK. Linux skills are increasingly important for
qualified IT professionals in the UK and the LPIC program is an ideal
qualification for us in that regard," said Ben Sweetman, Apprenticeships
Manager, e-skills UK.

"We are delighted to be working with the Linux Professional Institute
and hope to see LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 in delivery across Scotland and linked
to relevant national programmes," said Joe Wilson, Head of New Ventures,
Scottish Qualifications Authority.

These recent initiatives in the UK follow the successful introduction of
an online distance education course by Open University UK for
undergraduate adult learners which prepares students for the "CompTIA
Linux+ Powered by LPI" exams
(http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t155.htm). Five
hundred students have recently completed this academic program which
provides students with credits towards their honors degree. An
additional five hundred are registered for the next course offering.

The Linux Professional Institute is globally supported by the IT
industry, enterprise customers, community professionals, government
entities and the educational community. LPI's certification program is
supported by an affiliate network spanning five continents and is
distributed worldwide in multiple languages at more than 7,000 testing
locations. Since 1999, LPI has delivered over 290,000 exams and 90,000
LPIC certifications around the world.

# # #

About the Linux Professional Institute:

The Linux Professional Institute promotes and certifies essential skills
on Linux and Open Source technologies through the global delivery of
comprehensive, top-quality, vendor-independent exams. Established as an
international non-profit organization in September 1999 by the Linux
community, the Linux Professional Institute continues to demonstrate
recognized global leadership in the certification of Linux
professionals. LPI advances the Linux and Open Source movement through
strategic partners, sponsorships, innovative programs and community
development activities. LPI's major financial sponsors are Platinum
Sponsors IBM, Linux Journal, Linux Magazine, Novell, SGI, and TurboLinux
as well as Gold Sponsors, HP and IDG.

Media Contacts:

Scott Lamberton
Director of Communications